St Mary’s is a voluntary aided school and the Governing Body is the admission authority with the responsibility for determining the school’s admission policy.
The Governing Body has an expectation that prospective parents will respect, support and contribute to the Catholic ethos of the school and its importance to the school community. This does not affect the right of parents who are not of the faith of this school to apply for and be considered for a place here. By applying to this school parents, or carers, are declaring their support for the aims and ethos of the school.
Admission to the school is for children between the ages of 3 and 11 years. Children of non-Catholic parents seeking admission because of the religious teaching and the Christian ethos of our school will be admitted if there are vacancies.
Admissions to Nursery
Admission to Nursery in September is a full time provision:
- Children will be eligible to start part time at St. Mary’s Nursery from the beginning of the term either January or April following their third birthday.
- Parents/guardians who wish their child to attend St. Mary’s can complete an application form which is included in the Prospectus or from the School Office.
- A nursery place does not automatically qualify a child for a place in the Reception Class in the main school. All children have to re-apply for a place in Reception. Application for admission to other classes and at different times during the school year may be made by completing the relevant admission form obtainable from the School Office.
Where the number of applicants for admission exceeds the number of places available, places will be awarded to applicants in the categories in the following order of priority.
- The Baptised Roman Catholic children residing in the catchment area of the school. (The catchment area is the parish of Brynmawr and Abertillery).
- The Baptised Roman Catholic children residing outside the catchment area.
- The non-baptised children of Roman Catholic parents residing in the catchment area of the school.
- The non-baptised children of Roman Catholic parents residing outside the catchment area of the school.
- Brothers and sisters of Non-Catholic children who are already pupils in the school.
- The Governors will consider applications for:
- Non Catholic children whose parents are seeking a Christian education for their children.
- Children of other Christian denominations.
- Children of other world faiths.
- Non Catholic children for social reasons.
- Children of ethnic or minority origin. In all the above categories Looked After children (LAC) will take priority and be considered first.
If a child is refused a place the parents/guardians have the right to appeal within 14 days. All appeals will be heard by an independent panel:
All appeals must be sent to:
St. Mary’s R.C. Primary School,
Parents wishing to admit their child to the school are cordially invited to visit and speak to the Headteacher and staff prior to any decisions being made. They will be given an informal tour of the school to observe the teaching and learning taking place in each class and the resources available.
You can download our admission form here:
|View File||Admissions Form|