At St. Mary’s R.C. Primary School we work, pray, share and learn together in a supportive environment in partnership with parents and parish to ensure that each child develops academically, spiritually, physically and socially. Children are valued as individuals and encouraged to strive for self improvement whilst remaining sensitive to the needs of others.
Vision Statement and Aims
St Mary’s R.C:
- Recognises that children succeed best in an atmosphere where they work, pray, share and learn together with the example of Christ at its centre.
- Welcome and cares for everyone, promoting strong links with and supported by home, parish and community.
- Celebrates our achievements in all activities and recognises and rejoices in the talents of others.
- Respects the uniqueness of each individual and caters for their particular needs.
We aim to:
- To create a caring Catholic Community in which the Catholic Faith is put into daily practice and in which Catholic Doctrine and Principles are explored.
- To deliver a relevant, differentiated and stimulating curriculum which offers equal opportunity for self improvement through raising standards allowing all to succeed.
- To involve both the parents and the parish in the education of the children.
- To foster positive attitudes to learning and self-development and to encourage high expectations.
- To develop concerns for all and an understanding of how an individuals actions affect others.
- To promote a healthy and active lifestyle.
- To work with St Albans R.C. High and Brynmawr Foundation Schools to ensure that the children are well prepared to continue the learning process.
As a Voluntary Aided School, we regard our daily act of collective worship as an integral part of the day. We put a great deal of effort into planning our worship so that it is meaningful for the children and offers opportunities for spiritual, social and moral development and reflection.
Academic Study and Curriculum
We aim to provide a stimulating environment in which children are encouraged to discuss topics of a wide variety with adults and with their fellow pupils. We aim to fulfil the requirements of the national curriculum and give our children a sound platform in the core subjects. We foster a positive attitude toward academic study so that pupils can take on new challenges with confidence when they move on to Secondary School. As part of our Personal and Social Education and Sex and Relationships Education, we try to equip children for adult life by encouraging good personal qualities and mature attitudes to life.
We are fully committed to the active promotion of equality for all children, families and staff in the school, and have an appropriate Equal Opportunities Policy. The school is committed to giving all pupils every opportunity to achieve the highest standards by:
- taking account of their varied experiences and needs;
- offering a broad and balanced curriculum;
- having high expectations of all pupils